Courses and Minor
Theatre courses are open to students in any major.
Take a Theatre Course
All NC State students, regardless of major, can enroll in theatre courses for credit. We are pleased to offer classes in acting, directing, inighting and sound, stagecraft and stage makeup.
Visit NC State Registration and Records to browse the Course Catalog and search for theatre (Prefix: THE) classes.
To register for current courses, visit MyPack Portal.
Minor in Theatre
University Theatre offers an academic minor in theatre to all NC State undergraduate degree-seeking students. The minor includes a combination of courses that address theatre in historical, theoretical and practical contexts, while preserving an emphasis on application. There are opportunities for advanced study in performance, production and design.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours is required to complete the minor, with nine hours taken in required courses and six in elective courses.
- Only grades of C- and above will count toward the minor.
- A maximum of one (1) course may be used (double-counted) toward both a departmental major requirement and minor requirements.
Required Courses (nine (9) credit hours)
- THE 103 Introduction to the Theater
- THE 203 Theory and Practice of Acting
- THE 223 Stagecraft
Elective Courses (six (6) credit hours)
Choose two (2) from the following courses:
- THE 233 Introduction to Stage Lighting
- THE 234 Makeup Design for the Stage
- THE 236 Text to Stage
- THE 303 Stage Directing
- THE 323 Introduction to Scenic Design
- THE 333 Costume Design and Technology
- THE 334 Advanced Acting
- THE/AFS 340 African American Theatre
- THE 363 Audition/Interpretation Techniques
- THE 403 Touring Theatre
- THE 433 Period Styles in Acting
Admissions and Certification of Minor
If you’re interested in minoring in theatre, contact Mia Self at 919-515-3147. You must complete the minor requirements no later than your final semester at NC State. Please submit the paperwork for certification during the registration period for your final semester at NC State. Learn more about the theatre minor by emailing Mia Self
Questions About Theatre Courses or the Theatre Minor?
Assistant Director, University Theatre
Thompson Hall 201