University Theatre offers unique opportunities to expand your education or sample new experiences through production crew roles. All crew roles are volunteer, unpaid positions at varying degrees of time commitment. Some roles are only needed during pre-production, as noted below.
To see full crew role descriptions, visit the Stage Management Google site.
Volunteer Crew Roles
- Stage manager
- Assistant stage manager (ASM) – Watch Chicago ASMs share their experience
- Run crew
- Light board, sound board operators
- Projections board operator
- Spot operator
- Wardrobe chief
- Wardrobe crew
- Makeup crew
- Assistant lighting designer (pre-production)
- Assistant projections designer (pre-production)
- Paint crew (pre-production)
- Props assistant (pre-production)
- Publicity (pre-production)
- See employment options with University Theatre »
- See employment options with Ticket Central »
- Fill out our employment application »
Volunteer with Us
To express your interest in working backstage, submit a crew interest form (Google form).
Once you’ve been cast in a role or named as a crew member, use this site to find paperwork, schedules and contact information.